Thursday, July 22, 2010

IWIOY ep. 5 Bionicle Mask of Light



This time on I Watched It On Youtube, I review Bionicle: Mask of Light. I was a big fan of the toys when I was a kid, so if the movie is just a guy playing with them with a few G.I. Joe's, some other lego guys, a Buzz light year toy, and a figurine of the pokemon Groudon, this is going to be awesome.


First of all this the first C.G.I. movie I've reviewed here so I'd like to say my opinion on cgi. I don't mind CGI, it can effectively show a different style of visuals that seem realistic while still properly portraying everything it needs to. But cgi sometimes seems to just try to hard to look realistic or it will show a shot that is supposed to be just awesome but I've seen it in a video game cut scene because they often use cgi. I much prefer classic animation, not only because I'm often a traditionalist but because then you are truly taking on a unique style for example the Power puff girls or Samurai Jack.

Now onto my review of this movie. First I'll cover the logistics and then I'll talk about my opinion of it all.
A big part of this movie is getting over the mental block as a viewer is that your watching these mecha/plastic guys talk and such, the whole movie. They have noticable facial expressions but early on it is difficult to take it all seriously. (especially when a guy and girl is flirting.... I don't see human anatomy there)
Below average voice acting, combined with below average dialogue, however neither seem to bad unless your paying close attention.
The plot follows a very Lord of the Ringsy line, with two young friends being called to take the mask of light to a certain place while conquering there fears and the villains coming after them. While this is happening 6 guardians (water, fire, air, ground, ice, and stone) help them on there quest and battle the bad guys.
Ok, let me get this out of the way. This movie sucked. It's that simple. Besides the obvious plot holes, many things aren't explained and assume you have knowledge of the magazing series already. The storyline goes from mildly interesting to illogical twists that ruin all the plot that happened before it. Plot points are introduced and solved within minutes and mean nothing in the end.
But what I think is most dissappointing is the fact that they have these six guardians which were based off of the original toyline. But at no point did these guys EVER kick some ass. I mean they fight, but usually they lose or simply the battles are poorly choreagraphed and directed because they just come off bland. The power puff girls kicked more ass than these guys!
This is the guy I had as a kid and he was a badass! In this movie he is the closest to being a badass but just didn't cut it.
I'll wrap this up quickly. You might want to see this movie if your curious or if you want to experience a new look in animation. But in general, don't watch this movie. To put it plainly, it's stupid. I'll give it a 3/10
Kaymazing

No comments:

Post a Comment